Sunday, November 03, 2013

equilibria oliver paleolithic



  "Ars longa, vita brevis est," said Hippocrates  Life is short, art is long.


Back in Florida, the winds are roaring but it's simply lovely out.  I have all my doors open for the air, a nice change from non-functioning windows in the condo.  On the way to the airport we saw the RedSox festivities-  people lining he streets, about 30 duck mobiles in Fenway, and planes pulling their ads all over the sky!  There was NO traffic, eerie for sure, but a good time in the old city for everyone with a couple of new heroes to celebrate.

We made it to the plane OK, but things got harrowing with both of us thinking he couldn't make it yet.  It really was a day or two too early but he popped a few of his magic pills and sailed on through.  Of course we nearly needed the jaws of life to get him out of the seat!  He must be feeling much better today because nothing I do is right.  Then when it IS right, he is still angry because I am 'not happy'.  Well, duh...  I get yelled at like a seven year old and am not happy afterwards?  Oy, I am hanging in there.  By two broken fingernails.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

The recliner had been delivered and installed in the right place.  I tried it out for a minute and discovered it's a GRANNY LAUNCHER.  I'm going to try to figure out how to install a wireless control so *I* can run it from across the room, just in case...

                                         before,                                            and after the launch.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.

We have it for a month but I bet by the end of the month I will be damn sick of looking at it, huge brown leather thing blocking my view...  Oh well, at least he can sleep in it comfortably.  This afternoon while waiting for the doggies pick-up time I made a big batch of Portugese Kale Soup like I learned about in Cookies in Provincetown years ago.  I badgered them until they told me what was in it, and showed up three days in a row for more bowls!  They had to tell me to get me out of there!  I don't think the old place is there any more, correct me if I'm wrong.  It was full of old fishermen and crusty locals back then-  loved it!  They put chick peas in theirs but since then I have had versions with both white and kidney beans.  Also they used both chorica AND linguica so I do too.  I remember having a devil of a time finding kale 40 years ago, now there are whole aisles devoted to different kinds of it!
I'll put this in the refrigerator so there is always something to eat this week.  Then, for dessert, I also made a batch of oatmeal cookies, here-

The top row are plain oatmeal, the next row down is oatmeal pecan, and the last batch are oatmeal raisin-  oops, one is missing, somebody walked through when I wasn't looking!  






And with that I am ending the whining, promise.  I need to get on with some projects of my own back in the studio.  There's something on the wall that has some possibilities now that all my social obligations are out of the way, well, I haven't started Christmas yet, but this year it's going to be all mail order and after being gone a week I sure have the catalogs to choose from!

But we are here about ART, not cookies and whining, right? I've been saving these amazing microscopic photographs awhile, so I'll unload them today  Sing along:
One of these things is not like the other!  One of these things just doesn't belong...
velcro

salt and pepper

needle with thread

jersey knitted fabric


************************
. INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE     Bruce Mau
  • Scat. 
    When you forget the words, do what Ella did: make up something else … but not words.
  • Break it, stretch it, bend it, crush it, crack it, fold it.
  • *********************

Next, because I am back close to the beach, how about SANDCASTLES?


 Guy-Olivier Deveau’s sculptures would be fascinating in any medium, the fact that he works with sand and ice makes them that much more appealing and interesting.  Deveau started out sand sculpting as a summer job in Quebec City so he could earn money to finance his education in the filed of philosophy.  Now that he’s a sculptor full-time the Canadian artist travels around the world creating his ephemeral sculptures and competing .

When I had a little boy years ago he was in love with Transformers-  the car things that you could snap and twist around to become robot things.  We had them everywhere.  But look at this!

British artist Hetain Patel has converted an old Ford Fiesta into a squatting Transformer robot inspired by the blockbuster movie franchise. Collaborating with his father, who apparently has a fair amount of experience in transforming vehicles for a living, Patel spent six month to complete all the fabrication and structural work. Speaking about the project he said, "Unlike the popular toys and films, however, the car here is not a high-powered sports car or truck transformed into a powerful warrior, but rather a small, inexpensive Ford Fiesta transformed into a human, calmly squatting. This posture is a recurring image in my work and forges a link between the lower classes in India and my immigrant family in the U.K."




No comments :