Wednesday, December 04, 2013

blackout volvo minnow



I wanted to change the world. 
But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.
Aldous Huxley 

Well, today is my second PT, have to go early and then (oh, this may be strictly wishful thinking!) head for the studio!  I went to my stitchin' group yesterday and sat there crocheting edges on hexagons and it felt SO GOOD to be messing with yarns again after a month of abstention.  Well, today my arm hurts again-  doubt it was an hour of crochet that did it, but I think I'll lay off for a bit more and see how the PT goes.  While I was twirling a weighted stick over myself I overheard another woman giving answers to her therapist about what was wrong with her shoulder and it was exactly what I had told MY therapist just a few minutes before.  I turned around finally and saw a woman who had to weigh 400#s, my shoulder doppleganger!  I felt so bad for her- because I know how much this shoulder thing has affected my life, can't imagine what her limitations might be!  

Will report later on how long I can wave the stick and how hight I can 'walk' the exercise ball up the wall!  And how many times I can count to ten in one hour!  But what I most hope is that I can report on some progress in the studio for a change!


  • INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE     Bruce Mau
  • . Capture accidents. 
    The wrong answer is the right answer in search of a different question. Collect wrong answers as part of the process. Ask different questions.




Delightfully bright, bold and bizarre textiles will be on display as part of The Challenge of Colour, the retrospective exhibition of flamboyant 92 year old artist Isabel Foster. The huge body of her lifetime’s work shows a devotion to thread, colour and the use of ‘reverse garbage’.  As a child, born between two world wars, Isabel was raised in a time where thrift and up-cycling was a given and home furnishings were frequently handmade. This upbringing planted the seeds of resilience, independence and creativity, which have become the hall marks of this remarkable textile artist.


In flipping through a bunch of sites yesterday I found Be Friends with Failure | Doodle Alley   Comics that Nourish by Stephen McCranie.  Fabulous tutorials in cartoon form on being an artist.  GO LOOK!
In his post titled The Need for Sustainable Creativity he opens with this:  Recently, more and more research is coming to light that indicates talent is a matter of time spent practicing, not a matter of innate ability. The idea that it takes 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill is increasingly gaining mainstream acceptance. Personally, I’m a big fan of the idea because it gives hope to people who once believed talent to be a gift they had not been given.
Even though this radical idea has massive ramifications for artists, I don’t think it has properly made a debut in the dialogue about what it takes to become a great artist. We are still asking “How do you draw that?” when we should be asking “How do you get yourself to keep drawing for years and years and years?”


                                     And today's Thing I Don't Want for Christmas!
  This, folks, is a water bottle.  If I am going to own a Siracha bottle (and I most certainly do!), that's what I want IN it.This doesn't come off as 'ironic', only weird.  

No comments :