Friday, December 20, 2013

peru joyful pensacola

(Don't say I told you to.)



Everyone who wants to do good to the human race always ends in universal bullying.
Aldous Huxley 


Tried to knit again last night and ended up feeling like I did 2 months ago arm-wise.  Guess it isn't time yet.  But I managed to catch a medley of 'My Big Fat Gypsie Wedding'.  Absolutely riveting television...  When TY got back we segued right in to another episode or Lilyhammer but #3 wasn't as good as #2, so we watched #4 to get back it's mojo.  I guess the second arm hole ribbing will just have to wait.  

So I came to the studio, made my Keurig hot cocoa, and took to the computer.  
I wish it didn't taste so good! 

The Non-Christmas is working so far.  We have a couple of dinners coming up, for once at Other People's houses.  I'm afraid I'm not a very good guest, always popping up to see if I can help and hoping I can't, always afraid I am double dipping or taking too much, or can't find a place to spit it out...  Have to get to the store and buy a few hostess gifts so I'll be all set in advance.  There is an embargo on scented candles-  I think the original 300 purchases have been re-gifted a few times already so I can' get away with moving them on any more.  For a long time I made small decoupage trays with images having to do with the recipients but after someone opened one of them at a Secret Santa affair and publicly wondered why in hell someone would give her that...  I gave it up.  

I got through today's therapy and while I was there working my poor arm reaching for the sky, three other victims brought in gifts for the therapists!  There was a box of doughnuts, a platter of cookies, and something wrapped that looked suspiciously like candy.  I am so bad, brought nothing but me.  I had a brain stall in the night and thought of a project I might get at so today I am just working on top of the current project, making a new layer of fabric compost to see if it is viable or not.  Now I have to excavate and get down to the original project before I am allowed to leave.
This place is a mess.  Much to do, I am procrastinating.  
And I am SO good at it.







James Carl, a leading artist in Toronto,  is known for his provocative use of unconventional materials, methods and strategies, and for his sensitivity to social politics.Here he weaves venetian blinds into abstract sculptures.He creates small- and large-scale sculpture, made from a wide range of materials, from cardboard to marble, to venetian blinds. In the early 1990s Carl entered the art scene in Montreal by crafting expensive consumer goods (washing machines, stoves) from inexpensive materials such as found cardboard, only to place the finished sculptures back on the streets where their materials were originally retrieved. In a subsequent body of work, Carl carved replicas of disposable electronics out of marble – a traditional sculptor’s material with connotations of permanence. Most recently, Carl constructs large-scale, amorphous sculptures by intricately weaving brightly coloured venetian blinds in a series titled jalousie.





Here I go with another Bohemian Rhapsody.




Temari balls are a form of folk art that originated in China and were introduced to Japan in the 7th century. The carefully hand-embroidered balls often made from the thread of old kimonos were created by parents or grandparents and given to children on New Year’s day as special gift. According to Wikipedia the balls would sometimes contain secret handwritten wish for the child, or else contained some kind of noise-making object like a bell. Flickr user NanaAkua photographed this amazing collection of geometric spheres created by her 88-year-old grandmother who began to master the art in her 60s. She has since created hundreds of them 



Things I absolutely don't want for Christmas:
I do not much appreciate the cat.
***************************************************************
Things that I would probably never stop using IF I got them for Christmas:
Yegads, what a brilliant innovation.  It's on Fab if you're looking.

No comments :