Thursday, December 19, 2013

twenty empty runway



When the creative impulse sweeps over you, grab it. You grab it and honor it and use it, because momentum is a rare gift.” 
― Justina Chen


I saw the doc again yesterday and he says I'm making good progress.  Offered me another cortisone shot and I thought maybe not this time, so he agreed and I then went off to therapy where they killed me with my stretches and extensions.  I probably shoulda got the shot...  but I'm signed on for another month at least, and now have a set of stuff I'm supposed to be doing SEVEN days a week, no time off for pancakes.

Then I went to the studio and proceeded to do handwork while watching 'Lilyhammer'.  This is one of my favorite series ever, right after a hundred years ago, 'Maximum Bob' which nobody saw but me apparently-  can barely find mention of it.  Lilyhammer, the town, looks so much like the New York state towns I grew up around-  covered with snow, everybody inside and hunkered down, and behind every door something odd going on.  Speeding along the Thruway you can overlook towns like Amsterdam and Gloversville-  places like that- so the series is very familiar looking to me.   But 'Lilyhammer', the series, is off the charts and I spend the hour laughing at the absurdity of the situations and characters.  Yesterday a hoodlum got garroted by a circular knitting needle-  need I say more?  I won't, go watch it asap.  Call in sick, whatever.
I finished my vest!   Yeaaaaa!  Lots of handwork sitting there with 'Lilyhammer!'  Of course in south Florida I have no place to wear it, hoping for a cold snap on some night I go somewhere!



This in my mailbox this morning from my old friend Susan way back in Ma Bell days!  We both survived.  And this just is another reason to not cook for a dinner party anytime soon.



The next project try-outs on my work table.  This one is going to be 3-D.  We'll see if I can make it work without a deadline to push it along.  And now, some art:





These works are by Kay Khan, a Santa Fe fiber artist working in fiber sculpture, and I find them simply fabulous.  From her statement on her website:
My work is a mosaic of fragments, collected experiences, information, and images. This mosaic is both ideological and visual. I like to begin with an idea that I allow to develop unhindered to encompass anything from the serious to the absurd. No thought is isolated and the simplest can build upon itself. Layers of connected thoughts revealed in a succession of images link and multiply in evolving variations. In my recent work, for example, I sometimes begin with just a word, but already this word comes with many meanings and connotations. Then I make a connection, a thin bridge, between each word and its images, and other perhaps abstract and veiled yet related ideas. 








For his recent solo show earlier this year at Pippy Houldsworth, Japanese artist Yuken Teruya(previously) transformed the waste products of consumerism—luxury gift bags—into cut paper trees that rise like fragile silhouettes from inside each bag. Via Pippy Houldsworth:Discussing how Teruya’s bags are made, Megan Ratner explains that he ‘begins with photographs of trees, which he transfers to his computer, superimposing this image on the logo-ed side of a shopping bag. Using the original shape as a guide, he deftly cuts a two-part silhouette – lower branches/trunk and leafy top – folding and twisting the two halves into the interior of the bag, rooting the trunk with a single drop of glue.’

And that abut does it except for my exceptional present from Teddy, a bejeweled squirrel-  be still my heart...  he squeaks when you squeeze him so he is up safe from the canine companions.


Almost forgot what I DON'T WANT FOR CHRISTMAS today!  A Felted Bacon Scarf.
?????

No comments :