Saturday, January 04, 2014

eunice bylaw bait

guess I don't need a daily quote with Ms. Ford in charge



Well, Bunnies, I got to the studio yesterday and actually got something to happen!  It was all by the seat of my pants, making one decision, then another decision, then a last decision and working it out. So today I went back after my bocce practice (we got released early because it started to rain) and got it all pinned in place and now am wondering what in hell to do next.  I like it so far, just don't want to kill it with next-stepping.  I grabbed for my phone after working a couple of hours to document where I left off but apparently forgot it at home.  I think I will try to document it as I go, which of course means you will be sick of me bitching about it, but this certainly ins't ;show quality' so what the hell.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get back and snap a picture for you to 'discuss amongst yourselves'.  I'm afraid I have digressed with this thing, already have a name in place:  Land-scape E-scape.  

OK, background info.  I bought a dress at Anthropologie which fit me for about one week until I ate myself out of it.  It was a digital print of a stream/hill/sky which was apparently somebody's old oil painting.  Since I doubt I will ever get into the dress again, I cut it up for the fabric and added lots of other fabrics in on top and under.  My original idea was to cut the results into vertical strips, make a similar piece and cut that into horizontal strips and then weave them together somewhat in order.  I wanted to make a basket out of it.  Well I chained horses in mid-stream and worked flat.  Didn't much like it, so turned over every other strip to the backing-  I had an old quilt top I made a few years ago that I never got around to finishing, so that's the back, or now half the front.  All these strips were quilted and I'm going to leave them raw edged.  It's small, maybe less than a yard square, and I really like all the pins in it-  always a problem with me since I like the sparkle.  No, I will not bead it.  I am thinking I may use some tile spacers on it with some hand stitching.  (See 'Rhubarbies' if you can find it.)  They were fun to work with, and here they made nice Rhubabr blossoms.  


So, I have some stuff to show you for the weekend.  Hope you like them---





 Artist Mark Khaisman,  originally from the Ukraine and now based in Philadelphia, uses packing - or packaging - tape in a very different manner than you do. Applying layers of 2" wide translucent and clear packing tape to backlit panels, he uses the play of shadow, depth, shape and color to create images of objects, portraits, patterns or motifs and the re-creation of movie and film noir stills. The results are reminiscent of digitized or pixelated photos, only with a depth and tactile quality that is unique to his work.  (LOVE the oriental carpets!)




Brooklyn based artist Kate Clark creates sculptures that are a lifelike fusion of a human and an animal. The surreal object, almost human-sized, investigates which characteristics separate us within the animal kingdom, and more importantly, which ones unite us.The unexpectedness of the human face on these animals also evokes curiosity. They are obviously reconstructed yet they are not monstrous, they are approachable, natural, calm, innocent, dignified. The facial features are believable and the skin, which is the animal’s skin, has been shaved to reveal porous and oily features that we recognize as our own. The viewer has an intimate relationship with the face and then identifies with the animal, acknowledging the animalistic inheritance within the human condition.


Finally, I found this 'fashion' picture of new men's designs.  Whatcha think?  Do any of you know a man who would wear this?  Cannot imagine it on anybody off a runway, but then again the people I see aren't very adventurous.
I wonder if the horizontal lines are counteracted by the verticals?



If you don't know, these are for my northern friends, squirrel prints in the snow!

No comments :