Monday, February 03, 2014

hosiery congressmen booky



  • There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others, who, thanks to their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
    (Pablo Picasso)


  • Just back from a friends house where we were supposed to be watching the Super Bowl but frankly I have no dog in that fight this year and couldn't get excited about sitting there with a platter full of food I should not be eating.  So we left and here I am doing catch-up before getting out the knitting again.  I told you I ripped out 8" of lace work the other day, but already it's looking RIGHT this time, I'm glad I didn't keep it.  But like I figured out, I make everything at least three times if I count starting over so much.  But this time I found the rhythm and I'm keeping track and counting!  Like I should have before.  Worth the trouble.


  • INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE     Bruce Mau
  • Collaborate. 
    The space between people working together is filled with conflict, friction, strife, exhilaration, delight, and vast creative potential.
I keep thinking I must be at the end of Bruce Mau's Manifesto but nope, lots more to go!  Hope you find it as useful and interesting as I do.  I had a pretty good call for the Rant, got them all sent out and assume I'll have a few more calls for it.  It' will be here forever so ask any time.  I'm cleaning up the desktop this week by showing you an odd assortment of art.  Usually I try to connect the different pieces by some tenuous thread, usually only recognized by me, but until I've used up all these links and images I think it will be just a free-for-all without any grounding theory behind the choices.  Sorry,  but think how nice my cluttered desktop will be!    



A bit of foolishness at the expense of the Norwegian Curling team.  Yup, that is what they will wear!


Hand knit, ummm.  This guy needs a cheeseburger.
And another 60's ad.  Were we really there?  And make that an order for four cheeseburgers.




Created from nearly 4,000 pieces of metal scraps, Aslan (Turkish for Lion), is a recent sculpture by Istanbul-based artist Selçuk Yılmaz. The piece took nearly a year of work and involved hand-cutting and hammering of each individual metal piece. The final work weighs roughly 550 pounds (250kg). While we’ve seen dozens of artists use multiple components to create a final form, it’s worth noting how well the bent mental lends itself to the final shape of this impressive cat. 











 In an attempt to subvert traditional embroidery culture, Lithuatian artist Severija Inčirauskaitė-Kriaunevičienė applies standard floral and decorative patterns found in embroidery magazines to metallic objects like plates, spoons, lamps and even car doors. The juxtaposition of functional objects emblazoned with traditional textile work is certain unexpected and little amusing, an aspect Severija further illustrates with some of her more humorous pieces depicting cigarette butts embroidered at the base of a tin can, or the skewed reflection of a person’s mouth on the edge of a spoon. 



More College Squirrels

Penn State's Sneezy in his Super Bowl earmuffs.


Vanderbilt



Harvard squirrels are fine walking right up to you, "sometimes a bit too close," as one Crimson writer put it. The university has documented the strange encounters with the small mammals in the Harvard Squirrel Archive, showing news articles from as far back as 1882 about interactions with the cute little guys.



The University of Chicago community created t-shirts with the slogans "University of Chicago: Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls" and "University of Chicago: Where the squirrels are more aggressive than the guys."

Yale students were worried this fall that their campus squirrels were the victims of a mass killing by school officials, but the university insisted they had no squirrel termination program.

Beloit's "squirrels" made a video to explain what it's like for them to live at the college. The school said they estimate 200,000 or so squirrels are around campus.



No comments :