Monday, February 17, 2014

ironside pilewort segregate

I don't know that I would have picked a picture of him exiting an outhouse, but they didn't ask...


Busy weekend, but I don't know what I actually did!  I abandoned the front of the knitting I've been doing because it became apparent that I added some stitches in the cast-on to elongate the vest (it's knit sideways) which I thought wouldn't screw up everything following but it did.  Now, do I just try to figure out how to proceed OR do I rip out a WHOLE FRONT of lace work (again)?  Plus, my little 'alteration' of the pattern that of course I worked out in my head but not on paper, means I won't have enough yarn.  I have several skeins of the same yarn in other colors and am thinking how I might use them but reality hits and I need to get MORE.  So, I will add a bit more to the Intern's job description-  "must knit and read my mind".

Today is back to physical therapy, then to the studio for awhile.  I was there Saturday for most of the day and got scads done on the Land'escape piece-  petty soon I'll have to figure out what else needs to be done.  Talk about quilting by the seat o' your pants...
Yesterday I hit the Artigras craft show here in Jupiter, an annual even for as long as we've been here.  the place was overrun by jewelry booths and ugly painting booths, and I thought alls as lost until I came across a hippy guy in a black lined booth with giant clocks made from old kitchen items-  for instance the face of the clock would be a beat up silver tray, and the pediment and gears would be fashioned from knives, forks and spoons.  I loved 'em, and hung around taking to the guy who makes them for a bit too long-  he was missing teeth and had braids in his big beard.  I heard two guys talking about several of his other sculptures and listing the machine bits and pieces he used-  they were old machinists before they retired and had a ball identifying each part.  BUT alas, the clocks were selling for $800+ and I didn't have that kind of disposable income OR in fact a wall to hang one.  I moved on.  But guess what-  I found a picture for ya!




We are like children building a sandcastle.  We embellish it with beautiful shells, bits of driftwood, and pieces of coloured glass. The castle is ours, off limits to others. Yet despite all our attachment, we know that the tide will inevitably come in and sweep the sandcastle away. The trick is to enjoy it fully but without clinging, and when the time comes, let it dissolve back into the sea."  (Pema Chodron)




New York-based sandcastle artist Calvin Seibert (previously) just returned from a 10-day trip to Hawaii where he completed a number of his abstract, geometric sandcastles. For the past 30 years Seibert has worked as a sculptor’s assistant and puts some of his acquired skills in construction and basic carpentry to use while executing these perfect, angular sand structures. 





 Madrid-based artist Marlon de Azambuja transforms the empty spaces that exist in urban furniture into solid volumes by covering them in colorful duct tape. His interventions in our surroundings allow us to discover new identities of a given space, making new links and enhancing the sculpture character of urban elements benches, street lamps, dustbins and bus stops.


And finally, a lovely fall video sent to me buy Sue-  Yes, because of the fat squirrel close-ups, but the whole video is lovely!  Enjoy!  It will be fall again soon enough!

1 comment :

Mary Beth Frezon said...

LOL that's no outhouse m'dear. That's his tiny writing room!

"Shaw is known to have written many of his major works in a secluded, home-built revolving hut located at the bottom of his garden.[2] The tiny structure of only 64 square feet (5.9 m2), was built on a central steel-pole frame with a circular track so that it could be rotated on its axis to follow the arc of the sun's light during the day.[2] Shaw dubbed the hut "London", so that unwanted visitors could be told he was away "visiting the capital"."

For more things that throw me into building design frenzy try this: