Thursday, February 27, 2014

metaphor applique equitation



There is neither painting, nor sculpture, nor music, nor poetry. The only truth is creation.
Umberto Boccioni 


How exciting is this:  ANOTHER DAY AT THE STUDIO!  I'm on a roll.  Well not quite, today was laden with problems, starting with me trying to free motion quilt from the back on the serial killer quilt.  It doesn't work.  And the perfect variegated thread-  a disaster.  So I had to fix it a bit and now am stymied as to where to go next in the box canyon I made for myself.  So, Sandy, what else is new?  I left in a snit after I took a photo of the Cinque De Mayo quilt that Rowan sent back to me-  here:
This is one that appeared in one of the Kaffe Fassett books, 'Caravan of Quilts' that they asked me to design a piece for the new line of fabrics.  I kind of liked this one and thought it was a great start to a salsa party!  I saw someone on line make one in darker colors and hers was called Cranberry Relish or something like that.  This one is about 51" square so makes a great table top cover.  Or maybe a very jittery baby quilt!  I always try to do a pattern that is improvisational so there aren't big 'rules' but the Rowan book break down all the quilts to exact measurements to replicate them exactly.  So, the complete directions are in the book but it would be ever so much more fun to see it in other colors!   So, folks, have at it!  But you have to show me when you're done.
'Cause it's MINE!


So I stitched away on the landscape piece for awhile, thought it was further than it is, so I got bored with that too.  I am odeing a couple of lamps for the living room and found some online that we both like (amazing we agree on something!) but I thought maybe I could get a deal at the outlet which is about an hour north of here.  So off I went and it took forever to get there, a huge outlet mall just like all the other huge outlet malls I've been to.  But RH was terrific and had some great deals.  What did I buy?  8 little glasses that are similar to the ones I already have.  They had the lamp shade I want but I need two so instead of getting one and saving $35, I thought it best to get both together with the lamps stands so they match.  
I was a bit leery to grab any of these-  one of the chandeliers I love had a teeny note that one of the arms wouldn't work.  I could probably fix it and save a bundle but I am so sick of PROJECTS with learning curves-  especially when they involve electricity and dying.

So, next step I order the lamps and shades and pay full price and I wasted 4 hours driving up there and back.  But I thought I died and went to heaven with all the stuff I wanted-  how about a rolled steel dresser!  Or gigantic Venitian mirrors?  swoon!




So, off to the art show next!


Although it’s in a slow state of disintegration, Desert Breath remains viewable some 17 years after its completion, you can even see it in satellite images taken from Google Earth





 LAURA MACKIN  The Crystallized Forest series   
Each collage in this series is composed of found photos of mirrors posted on on-line auction sites. These collected reflections all frame nature—glassy, dematerialized representations of trees, earth, & sky.  In general, the series is supposed to be suggestive of our fascination with virtual representations & the issue of mediated vs. "real." 


Oh, how lucky you are today-  another gif!  
And this time, a SQUIRREL! 
A PINATA!  
A Surprise!




No comments :