Wednesday, March 19, 2014

hackett missive cockeye





There is one good thing about snow. 
It makes your lawn look as nice as your neighbor's.

Clyde Moore 


The 'story' is that TY called up my daughter to arrange a 'special birthday' present for me so he wanted her to bring the kids down to Florida for a surprise.  So Mandy thought that was a good plan and immediately let me know her dad was planning to surprise me on 'my birthday' because--- 

The THING is, it's not my birthday.

TY can never get the date of my birthday, the 21st, reconciled with the date of our anniversary, the 24th- and only 6 months apart.  Sigh.  For years I've been getting the anniversary flowers in the right month but wrong day or the other way around.  It's so funny-  after 41 years you'd think he could manage 2 dates.  Good thing it's not important to me except for comic value.

So today I've gotten a few plans for the kids-  there's a pirate ship that takes them out to plunder Peanut Island so I know that will be a hit.  Also there's a Science Museum next to the zoo as if one activity isn't enough.  Then there's a new playground here, the big pool and our little pool plus a kid's beach on the inlet that doesn't have huge waves.  When they get a bit older we'll investigate the water park, but not now-  gonna let their immune systems marinate a little longer!  There will be plenty to do if I just get it all listed so I can present options depending on the mood and the weather and WHO has to go too!  

So, for the immediate future I am leaving the spiders to proliferate unattended in the studio.  I am so close to finishing both pieces, just need another hour on each but I won't get back to it until next week.  Meanwhile I am winding embroidery threads up on bobbins so I can find and grab whatever I need.  It's a pain to do but so much easier than my former 'system' of keeping them all willy-nilly in a couple of shoeboxes.  Plus everybody is SO impressed with my organizational abilities...  don't mention it may well be a way of NOT doing real work.

I got to the supermarket today and filled up my cart with fruits and vegetables before realizing I had left my card home along with most of my cash.  So I put a few things back and got out by only having to stop the clerk before two more things so I could pay for it all.  How embarrassing.  So now I have to go back and grab the rest of my list because I won't have time tomorrow for much of anything before they get here.  Either I am completely distracted with all that's going on or I am senile-  pick one.  Oh, some good/.bad news-  I saw the shoulder doc this morning and I've been released from more PT for now.  YEAAAA, I've got my mornings back!  But he also told me my rotator cuff is torn and will probably get worse in time.  I am under orders to not lift anything above my head or to get too involved in weight lifting.  Also no swimming or tennis.  Aww, gee!  There goes my athletic career.  Good thing I have sewing to fall back on, eh?



So, let's discover some more weird art together-  today we are looking at BIG painting!  First, the outside job-



When looking at these murals by Brisbane artist Fintan Magee they seem almost impossible to contain. Literally dripping with color, his bold images often bleed off the canvas and spill onto the street or sidewalk, fully utilizing every available surface, as if maybe even that isn’t enough. Moving away from traditional graffiti in recent years his guerilla murals often inhabit the isolated, abandoned and broken corners of the city. Mixing surreal and figurative imagery his paintings are deeply integrated with the urban environment and explore themes of waste, consumption, loss and transition and contain a sentimentality and softness influenced by children’s books.


And here's the Inside job!



 For his ongoing project titled “Brand New Paint Job,” artist Jon Rafman transforms domestic and familiar settings by imagining them as classic paintings. Using recognizable patterns and paintings from artists such as Basquiat, Lichtenstein, Picasso, Monet, O’Keeffe, Haring, Duchamp, de Kooning, and Matisse, Rafman wraps nurseries, living rooms, bedrooms, and familiar television sets like Star Trek, Jeopardy!, and Seinfeld, turning these works into 3D living spaces. In order to create these imagined spaces, Rafman finds 3D models from Google 3D Warehouse, an online gallery where Google Sketchup users upload their work.

Let's take another look at the Etsy Squirrel Dept. wares-
First of all, this may be false advertising because the baby doesn't come with the hat!  
How cute is this?

OMG, it's PEPPER!  On a tee shirt!  Wearing Doggles!  
I know this look all too well, see it on every walk

And finally a gen-u-wine squirrel coat, or so they say.  Looks a bit weasel-y to me but I am hardly a fur expert.  It would certainly be a way to keep your squirrels close, if you chose.
Again, all above are available by a simple Etsy search for your buying pleasure.  Go for it.



No comments :