Tuesday, April 08, 2014

patriot foil conant



Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.   Erich Fromm


TY due home this afternoon so I've been busy putting things away that I've dragged out this weekend-  amazing how much stuff accumulates when you're not paying attention.  So this morning, after I got a corned beef into the slow cooker I headed for the studio for a couple of hours, with a gas stop and a pedicure 'on the way'.  This is today's Horror-  guess it means I don't have to spill my guts every day, just sometimes?  So, no spillage today, I've got too much to do.

HORRORS:  You rarely have trouble letting others know where you stand. However, you may be more secretive now than anyone realizes. You appear to be straightforward when you tell everyone what's on your mind, but your spoken words differ from your desires. Don't be too hard on yourself; you're under no obligation to disclose your emotional needs as long as you're meeting your current obligations. Share your personal story with your associates later on if and when you feel like it. Your heart doesn't have to be an open book for everyone to read.
Before I get on with it, my friend in Wellesley sent me this Raven live stream of a nest on campus.  I am riveted in place and thought maybe some of you might be too.





Our theme today, if you choose to accept:


For this spectacularly detailed series of architecturally influenced drawings, Toronto-based artist Mathew Borrett labored with 005 Pigma Micron pens to create networks of compartmentalized dwellings that appear to be carved into the face of a cliff or dug into the ground with isometric perfection. Titled Room Series, the drawings were created in 2003, and Borrett continues to explore imaginary landscapes that appear gently influenced by science fiction and fantasy. 


A few more things you can do with a #2:
pencil socks

Jennifer Maestre's pencil starfish

a pencil tree

Jessica Drenk sculpture

and Kerstin's chair, comfy, eh?


So we segue now from pencils to crayons:





Hoang Tran of Wax Nostalgic  'the idea of carving crayons wasn’t originally mine. It was something that I wanted to try but at the time, I was just too busy. Then about half a year ago, a friend of mine was putting on a small art show and asked if I wanted to participate. I’m not the painter type but I remembered the crayon carvings and thought I could fit that with the theme of the art show. I ended up carving a handful of crayons and they were well received at the show. Afterwards, I thought about how there were not many people doing this and maybe I could help fill this void. I decided to spend a week carving some new crayons to see what would happen. I posted images online and eventually some became popular and things kind of took off from there.'


Sadly, I couldn't find any squirrels using either pencils or crayons, but managed to scare up this little piece of fabulous, on theme,  just in time.  Put this on my WANT list.  I am currently using my little rabbit sharpener and it's seen better days.


No comments :