Monday, June 09, 2014

cladophora horntail checksumming

Oh boy, that's not the half of it!


There are two types of people in the world: people who are passionate about things, and people who've had their passion punched, beaten, or whatever out of them. (Kevyn Aucoin)


The night off from sewing did me good-  it wasn't nearly as daunting getting started today on the free-motion part.  I was kicking myself for not having a big-foot with the hole in it which is weird for having thee machines right in front of me, but then I noticed my hated BSR had that open toe already in it so I attached it and thought I'd give it a whirl.  I can't say as I fell in love, I still find it balky and difficult to get used to, however I do have to say it was better than going it alone.  It didn't take me long to finish the scales on the alligators back and discover that the cartoon I was sewing through to give me direction was hopelessly sewn to the top.  Since it was tissue paper I JUST ASSUMED (there's that word again) it would simply tear off.  Nope, it was the toughest paper I've ever dealt with and I spent the afternoon with the sewing machine screwdriver poking bits of paper between stitches and trying to grab them with my fat fingers.  Roseann Roseannadanna had it figured out, 'It's always something!'  So that's how I spent the remainder of my day  No, don't tell me to wet it, I did.  Don't tell me to scorch it and make it brittle with the iron.  I did.  The only thing that worked was 

poking up minuscule scraps with the screwdriver and picking them off.

Like mites...


Jim.  Geesh.  No wonder some days my follicles hurt.  I thought it was Charlie and his crew in there.  And this is more information than we need to know.



A couple of short videos about people who think they are inventing the wheel~~~






And my favorite, a guy who actually does invent wheels, Stephen West, doing his 'Swants' (sweater+pants) dance 





So, WTF, Sandy?  What's this dance stuff all about anyway?  Hold on, It's leading up to an important LESSON, next:


And of course one lesson isn't ever enough, even when it's about one guy.  How about this next one-  Second Place is sometimes a great place to be!  


IMAGINE!  These guys got SECOND place!  Who cares who got first?  Not me.  We'll just call this troop the 'first follower' since that seems to be the more important overall place.  So what does that have to do with us, fiber artists?  Everything.  When you see someone out there trying new things, doing advance preparations and practices, in short, Leading-  it's OK to follow as long as you do your own thing and join in.  It shows people where you're going, it involves them in your journey, and it encourages them to join in too.  

And I'm exhausted from all this dancing', need to go take a long sit at the sewing machine and see how it all shakes out for the day.  Then tonight I'm gonna sit and knit me some swants.  


Right after Pepper catches me a squirrel.  He's out climbing a tree and boof-ing at the little critter.  I think I can I think I can I think I can...  He's very optimistic.  My money is on the squirrel.

1 comment :

Mary Beth Frezon said...

It's funny - when I saw the vibe 2nd place performance I thought what really appealed to me was the repetitive pattern-ness of it. How quilt-y is that? Even if someone is a little off it's like that little zinger of a color you throw in.

PS Here's the winner