Monday, June 23, 2014

toss lock deity

It's 93 and very humid here.



"Perfectly ordered disorder designed with a helter-skelter magnificence." (Emily Carr)



I skipped the blog last night because I had download 'Tim's Vermeer' (FINALLY) and took the computer to bed with me to watch it.  Loved it!  It didn't play in any theaters near me and had already left the art theater in Boston I was relying on.  But I got an announcement that it is available on Amazon now so rented it for $3.99.  Well worth it.  And a surprise bonus of seeing Martin Mull again.  Highly recommended.

In Other News, TY has switched his horse in mid stream again.  I learned long ago that any decision he makes is not The Decision and is subject to several changes before closure.  So today's decision was that he is not going to bid on the little apartment, we are keeping the big condo---for now.  Sigh.  I did the numbers and sent him all the info on how much we are paying monthly.  HE did the numbers on the small place and there wasn't a whole lot of difference SO why not keep the better condo.  Then he said, 'And I don't have to get rid of all my books and stuff...'.  And THAT is the real reason-  he was overwhelmed by having to DEAL with it all.  And I can relate, I am overwhelmed too but I know that it can be done and needs to be done.  It won't get any easier next year or the year after that.  My hope is to talk him into bringing down some of my favorite furniture and 'stuff' when we get to the new house.  Silly complaints, eh?

Horrors:The spotlight is shining on you whether or not you want to be the main attraction today. Your ability to see things through to completion can now hold you in good stead with your peers, for they are relying on your sense of duty and generous nature. You have what it takes as long as you don't lose sight of your purpose. Don't try to garner extra attention by making your role in the events of the day bigger than it is; just give your best performance and take a bow.
Off to JoAnns today looking for some gray prints to use on the lampshades because I just can't leave well-enough alone.  Found some black alligator print and a great camp remnant but neither one are for the lamps.  Will check  other fabric stores as I encounter them.  I'll have lots of time in Boston in between knitting bathing suits for myself:

and some shorts too







What do you do with 11 tons of beach debris on the Pacific coast? You make it into art! Oregon based artist and teacher Angela Haseltine Pozzi created a project called “Washed Ashore” aimed at raising awareness about plastic pollution and marine debris. Pozzi, like other members of her community in Bandon, Oregon were continually shocked at the amount of trash that would wash up on their beautiful coastlines. Inspired to take steps toward solving the problem, she rallied together concerned citizens to not just clean up the beach trash, but to create from it.



As part of a personal public art/public works project, artist Jim Bachor has been filling dangerous and unsightly potholes in Chicago with beautiful custom mosaics. Bachor spends hours prepping the mosaics in his studio and when he finds the perfect pothole, he marks it off with orange traffic cones, pours in about five gallons of mortar, then installs the mosaic, which takes about two hours to fully set. “What really drew me to the mosaics originally was the permanence of the artwork. When I first went to work in the late ‘90s and came across the ancient mosaics still intact 2,000 years later it blew me away,” Bachor said. “Potholes can never be solved. They come back every year. They keep people employed, but it’s always a temporary solution.”

Finally, it's Squirrel Time:  MaryBeth found this frontispiece with a coat of arms including a squirrel AND a raven!  If only I could redo the elephant into a bunny...

Cool!



moving on.

1 comment :

Mary Beth Frezon said...

Tim's Vermeer has been on my wish list for awhile so on your recommendation I went ahead with it - I enjoyed the inventor's quirkiness (and appreciated how being god-wealthy makes all things possible!) and I respected his stick-to-it-ness a lot (although I kept wondering how long it took Vermeer to paint something). I really got a little verklempt at parts as they touched on the creative thing inside us all. Good film - worth the watch and it has penn and teller so bonus!