Tuesday, June 24, 2014

treetop gourd lingual



Note affixed to a meticulous study of a rooster and hens: 'These chickens were painted... in one morning before one o'clock lunch, as someone visiting... did not believe such rapid work could be done.' (John James Audubon)


Tuesday is my stitching group so off I went.  I really enjoy the time sitting with women all doing something with their hands and talking away on what's new around here.  Today was some juicy stuff so we had some laughs too.  I never made it to the studio afterwards because I had to stop a the vets for Peppers sedative for his trip.  I think I will give him a pill tomorrow and take him for a ride to see if it makes a difference.  I hope it knocks him out but I'm a little hesitant that it will rev him up!   I also went to the knitting store, and boy were they glad to see me-  not much happening there in summer.  They didn't have the yarns I was looking for but grabbed some substitutes and hope they work.

In the New House Dept, I think we have put the sale of the condo on hold for now. We ran the numbers and the tiny place would end up costing us close to what we pay now for taxes and condo fees, so why would we do that?  We really like the place where we are, it just seemed sort of excessive to keep it.  Now it seems MORE excessive to get rid of it.  So, for now, we keep it.  And that's a good thing because I can now put all my efforts into the new place.  Today the landscape architect returned with his pretty colored-in plan.  He was throwing names of plants at me like I talk sewing techniques to my pals.  But I loved the plan-  he included a pool but set it sideways on the ground which was a surprise as I've always seen it in my head across the yard.  We also decided on a few of the palms and some of the smaller perimeter plants, AND he an get me some rocks!  Yeaaa-  there are NOT any rocks in Florida!  Anyway, I told him to draw it up ready to submit, he will do that and come back Friday to check it out with me.  I'm getting excited again.

  • Incomplete Manifesto   Bruce Mau
  •  Organization = Liberty. 
    Real innovation in design, or any other field, happens in context. That context is usually some form of cooperatively managed enterprise. Frank Gehry, for instance, is only able to realize Bilbao because his studio can deliver it on budget. The myth of a split between "creatives" and "suits" is what Leonard Cohen calls a ‘charming artifact of the past.’





    Artist Nastasja Duthois creates large installations and small-scale embroidered artworks that explore aspects of shadow and negative space. Though composed of thousands of straight sewn lines reminiscent of crosshatching, the final pieces are generally organic in form from the silhouettes of dogs and animals to more complex landscapes. You can see more of her work over on BASE and on her website.



James Moving On


The Mercury Retrograde Body Mitten (TM) is designed specifically to contain and counteract the powerful negative mental and energetic effects of Mercury retrograde.Each body mitten is hand-knitted by celibate Virgos using hypo-allergenic squirrel wool inter-woven with strands of unicorn hair that were marinated in lavender oil infused with emerald powder. This energetic matrix provides a comfortable and fashionable garment to create an aware and stable personal environment before, during, and after Mercury retrograde.   Mercury Retrograde Body Mitten | Writing by Alan Annand


World Wide Knit in Public Day, or WWKiP Day, takes place from June 14th through June 22nd this year and knitters around the world continue to keep this 9-year-old tradition strong.



Every year we read about the prom goers who make their outfits from duck tape.  This year thee kids used glow-in-the-dark tape.  Cute, eh?



Look close, there IS a squirrel here-  she is dressed up as a candy striper and visits the children in a hospital to cheer them up.  I think if somebody brought a dressed up squirrel to a kid of mine in the hospital I'd be a bit squeamed out.  But this was a long time ago when people did things we might not be comfortable with in this time.  



No comments :