Thursday, August 14, 2014

velvet classify luminescent




A photograph is not an accident - it is a concept. (Ansel Adams)


A couple of years ago I saw the movie 'Pollock', a bio of our man Jackson of course.  Loved the movie, it stuck pretty close to him as I remembered- but what I loved most was the character playing Peggy Guggenheim showing up at a party in a fabulous jeweled lobster dress:
 In googling around I found another one, from the 40's here, but not nearly as wonderful.  I am thinking Peggy's will be my next project.  I can't find a full view, might have to rent the movie again!  Lilly Pulitzer ha a giant lobster appliquéd to a dress last year that was very cool but I am NOT a Lilly kinda gal, even for a lobster.  
Wish I could get a picture of it.  Can't.  All I get is lobster printed stuff from her.  
Blech.  Not the same.


You people are so funny-  I opened Blogger to do my thing this morning an the stats from yesterday were off the charts-  EITHER you like toilet paper art way too much or it was a crappy rainy day and you spent the day on the computer!  Well, I spent my rainy crappy day hanging a show in Lowell that I had juried a few months ago.  Took me an hour and  half to get there, double the usual trip through the downpour, then I had to work in wet clothes all day-  poor me poor me.
First go over, room still contains tables and chairs from previous evening.  Much teaching and reordering, but one wall done here, and second wall in progress.
iPhone photo, NOOOOOooooOOoooooOOo!   bad Bad Bad. 
 'Phaleanopsis', silk, camo netting, vintage home dec fabrics and nori sheets.
(jurors quilt, not part of exhibit)

But, as usual when a show is juried from slides (oops, I guess I am using old school terms!) computer images, things were very different than we all had envisioned-  so different that we compared them to the entry form pictures.  What I have to say is that  for the most part we were really happy with the differences.  The show hangs together remarkable well-  the garden theme is a natural for coordinating colors beautifully.  Things were bigger than anticipated, things were brighter than their images, and there was a wonderful detail to each piece completely unapparent in the jpg entries.  SO, begins my rant and it applies to everybody who enters an art piece into anything-


Art Quilts 101

1.  GET YOUR PICTURES TAKEN PROFESSIONALLY, second choice is to learn how to do it yourself.  Forget the snapshots and iPhone pictures.  Find somebody who can do it for you with a real camera, maybe offer to barter.  Then check your image against your art to make sure it is a good color representation.

2.  FILL OUT THE FORMS and then double check to make sure everything is included.  When you 'mean to' stick in the measurements later, you forget.  I've seen some shows that discard any entries with incomplete information and the entry fee is forfeited-  tha will make you very angry...  We had several yesterday that were big surprises as far as what we expected-  one was simply teensy, two others were huge compared to what we 'assumed' when size info was not filled in.  

3.  STICKS:  and you got me going on this one-  first, read the directions on the form.  Second, if you are sending professional work, make sure the hanging system is also professional.  
     One artist sent a piece of leftover molding for a wall-  it was made of fiberboard, not even wood, and it was broken in three places when it arrived.  It would snap with the slightest pull, totally unsuitable for either sending or holding up a large quilt!  
     Dowels are unacceptable-  they push the top out in an unattractive way no matter the size.  You need to use a flat hanging system that doesn't distort the top of the piece.  Visit your hardware store and get a few 10' pieces of lath to keep on hand.  These are perfect for smaller quilts, say under 48", lie flat, and don't bow over time.  They can be cut to size (AN INCH NARROWER than the quilt please!) with a small handsaw and drilled with holes on the ends.  Buy yourself a saw, a drill, and a load of sandpaper!    For wider quilts you might look into aluminum strips and have them cut to size.  Most hardware stores will also drill the end holes for a few bucks.  Lucite can also be cut and drilled, probably better by the manufacturer and is prefect for transparent work.  
     FINISH YOUR SLATS-  use sandpaper to smooth any sawed edges, run your hand along to feel for splintering and banish it.  Use a little file and clean up the holes (when you drill, cover both sides with tape to help keep the wood from splitting.)  Same for metal-  use a little file to get rid of burrs.  If you are really fussy you can cover the slats with fabric so wood doesn't touch your quilt but a double sleeve will take care of that too.
     Everybody is enamored with the telescoping flat curtain rods and they are terrible!  The sharp corners get caught and are difficult to maneuver for a hanging committee-  they slide out at inappropriate times and crash to the floor.  Please please please get something else.  
     Screw eyes.  Sigh.  Get large ones, at least with a 1/4" hole when they are requested.  And then trim the slat down so they don't protrude out the sides when hung.  If you have holes in your wooden slat, there really isn't a need for screw eyes unless the hanging specifies them.  
          All of this pales with the reality of not getting a stick!  
     SO, FINALLY, the biggest one:  always send the stick unless they tell you not to!  Yup, you really have to do this-  not many hanging committees are stocked to make sticks.  We actually were looking in a dumpster yesterday to see if anything in there would work for us...  it didn't.  Instead we hung the offending piece with a couple of safety pins temporarily until somebody could go get appropriate hanging gear. Not fair!

And my last word-  this show looks great, if you're anywhere near Lowell it's well worth a look.  
The Parker Gallery at the Whistler House Museum


Exhibit: August 20 - September 20 

Reception and Awards: Saturday, August 23, 1-3

   

Almost forgot!


Close enough to a squirrel for today, and he's sharing!
Tomorrow I'll get back to searching out good stuff again, promise.

4 comments :

Jeanne Marklin said...

Sandy,
Did the prospectus include the kind of hanging hardware required? After reading your post, I'll be sure that if I ever plan an exhibit the hanging method will be a requirement. I'm not sure I could be as patient as you and your committee. I'm more of a tough love type! When I use the flat curtain rods, I put Duck tape on them so they don't slide out. It is removable if I want to use the rod for another quilt.

Ellen Lindner said...

The prospectus states "All work must include a hanging dowel with eye screws at each end."

Diane Wright said...

shhh...don't tell anyone, but yesterday my buddy Yvette and I drove the almost 3 hrs north for a day in Lowell : VanGogh's Gear, Brush, lunch at LaBoniche, and Whistler. As you had blogged that it was up, I decided to brazenly ask those at Whistler to view the exhibit...told them I'd read it on your blog. Like we were buds ;^) The didactics were not up..lighting was being adjusted...but, gosh, it was grand. I could recognize many of my favs! Thank you for jurying such a colorful, 'popping' exhibit!

Mary Beth Frezon said...

not an issue for me at the moment but I wonder how I'd ship a hanging dowel (which does imply a round dowel for what it's worth) for a typically large piece. It would almost have to be two pieces to fit in shipping box. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone taped together a telescoping rod to make it stay put - something like that might be the only option. hmmmm

I've done flat aluminum stuff - not hard to cut or drill.