Saturday, November 08, 2014

yell solute showmen




A wedding day is the easiest to make happy. You’ve just thrown a ton of money at it and liquor, but a marriage is hard to make happy because when you throw a ton of money and liquor at it, it often makes things worse.   Rabbi Jonathan E Blake


Today we went way the hell north to visit a place that makes front doors.  We had picked one out but our builder wanted us to go to 'his' place so we drove up and found it completely with the 'closed' sign in the window.  I had told TY to call to see what their hours were but apparently he thought that  stupid move since after all it's Saturday and it's retail season so of course they would be open.  Damn.

So we drove back home and went to visit the chandelier I fell in love with and he liked it too, but wanted to go to another design-y place 'while we're out' so we then found another chandelier that HE loved and I liked.  So that's the ticket-  I am lobbying for taking them both-  one for the dining room, one for the kitchen island-  and there goes out lighting budget.  But, like a wedding dress, you simply gotta grab the one that makes you feel good.  They are calling me Monday with info on the lamp as to whether it can take a strong bulb and whether it can be put on a dimmer.  It would certainly look cool.   

After TY dropped me off at home I took off for the plot and walked it all around 'feeling' the rooms.  It was very easy to assign each with the PVC pipes sticking up from the ground.  It's all ready for some serious cement-  can't wait!  I'll be over there supervising but wearing sneakers, because walking through a sandpit in silver sandals is just plain dumb.  

In other news, Mister started walking yesterday and my DIL sent along the most adorable video-  I've watched it about 30 times now and get all teared up every time.  Wish I could have seen this milestone, but I did see him going learning how to crawl over the summer.  His first birthday is tomorrow.

And off we go with some interesting stuff-





Nothing is pre printed or planned.
I hand-stitch directly into a garment by copying the traces of the original handwriting in stitch.
I call it ‘Transewing’ (RW copyright) … or ‘Writing with a needle’
My hands become the ‘teller’ of the tale as I follow the pattern and rhythm of writing.   Because the act of stitching is silent and deliberate it creates a subtle space, where you can allow that voice to be heard.

Anything we have worn- a pair of dancing-shoes, a running-top- bears our imprint. It is the closest thing to our skin.  It carries the marks and ravages of time.
Handwriting is direct evidence of a person, time and place.  The marks people make reveal so much about them. They are immediate and personal, a snapshot in time, like a stroke of Zen brushwork.
What I value in any  handwritten document is what happens in the writer’s stream of consciousness when the ink is flowing- the mistakes, the unplanned marks, scribbles, doodles, the placement of text within a space, the choice of writing tool – all a priceless record of that person.
So when text and textile come together, it gives a visceral sense of a human presence.



Follow-up, another Rework YouTube, or perhaps it should be called an I-Tube!






unclear on the concept

No comments :