Saturday, May 23, 2015

with coeducation restoration

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.


Just for today (oh, probably not, but maybe) we are dispensing with squirrels to give you a bit of turtle information, even though this isn't something you arrived here looking for.  Sidebar:  we haven't been revisited by the poor confused turtle, and after watching these video I certainly hope he stays away.




Not part of what you expect here with the the woman waiting for the Muse, but things are slow in that department lately and I will have to blather on about *whatevah* until she swings around back at me.   In searching for a turtle video, it seems that there are lots of turtles mating with things other than other turtles, the most notable being a Croc-  the shoe, not the reptile.  But this is the king of all turtle mating videos-  you won't need to do any searches after this, other than for a cigarette...  

BTW, (see quote at the beginning) this IS the end of my comfort zone.

Hey, let's see some art, K?


I have a board over on Pinterest called 'Facial Recognition' and it's amazing how many posts I find to add there.  Recently I found a new bunch of things to put up-  but the artist is calling them 'head wraps'. He uses himself as model.







 Brazilian artist Edu Monteiro often puts himself into his own work, using his own body as an artistic medium. For his project titled "Sensorial Self-Portraits", he constructed a series of masks that enveloped his entire head (often with organic materials) to completely alter his personal sensorial experience of the world - sight, sound, smell, touch, taste. He then photographed himself wearing the strange head wraps. When asked how it felt to be wrapped in things he feared, Monteiro said, "The worst was being buried in sand, even with a breathing tube (which you cannot see in the photograph), I felt certain that I was going to die."



Often one associates origami with sharp and precise folds, miniature works that have a crisp perfection. Origami artist Hoang Tien Quyet shies away from this rigidity, instead folding his small objects with a technique called “wet-folding,” which allows curves to be created instead of the typical straight lines. With this technique Vietnam-based Quyet creates posed animals bounding with personality, their heads tilted and wings ready for flight.






Last evening I got the list of the award winners from Quilt National and I have to say I was surprised and deee-lighted!  All the winners showed restraint and attention to design principles.  Colors were across the gamut but controlled and taken down a notch from some years of rainbows and dancing fairies  (oy) Most in the winning list were abstractions in spite of the word being out that buyers want representational work.  It was heartening to see these artists listening to their own heads and doing their own work.  Congratulations to all, I am so anxious to see what else is in the show now, and that hasn't happened for a long time!

The house project continues-  my studio fills up more every day and I grab more bargain shit to stash.  I almost bought a set of towels for one of the bathrooms yesterday but stopped myself knowing full well I have plenty of mismatched towels to tide me over once we get in and I can see what I need.  Heck, I can't even find all the wallpapers I want, and now have waffled long enough that the giant koi on the bathroom walls seems a bit weird.  I may have to Re-Think if I can find something else.  No, I do NOT want a decal of any kind...Actually I am over the whole thing as the boxes pile up.  I really need to take down one of my work tables to be able to get through the place, but then I will be even less inclined to work there.  









No comments :