Sunday, July 19, 2015

bluejacket litton disciple

Destiny is what you are supposed to do in life. 
Fate is what kicks you in the ass to make you do it. -- Henry Miller



The last knitted squirrel picture, pattern available HERE
if you're so inclined.


My Coloring Book:
     scribble scribble  scribble scribble scribble scribble scribble scribble scribble scribble
This is the cut steel drum top from Haiti I rusted and printed on some old damask.  It really didn't make a good print so I re-thunk this and used it as a drawing op.  But I'm drawing with the machine thanks to a new foot .  First image shows the full piece, or almost.  Second image shows one of the birds sitting on a branch, and I am 'coloring' in spaces that are the tree trunk.  No, I will not call this 'thread painting' because of it's crudity, but when I sit down to color three hours flies by in warp time!  I love this because it's mindless, except for changing the bobbins so often.  I think I am gonna branch out off the branches and color the birdies next with blue.  

Why, you ask?  Because I am loving mindless right now.
And no, it will not be entered into QN or Visions or Art Quilt Elements, so don't judge me yet.  It very well might be entered into the prestigious Hall Gallery, (located directly across from my bathroom door).  But it has to qualify with the curator, TY, first. And like Mikey, he hates everything!
DISCLAIMER:  I am referring only to the little cute kid who likes his cereal, not the other person who takes such offense at his name being used a little in vain. 
Bad me.
We'll see if that weasel is still stalking me.







Paper-cutting artist Maude White (previously) continues to astound us with her painstaking illustrations cut from single sheets of paper. Limited to only negative and positive space, she explores poetic compositions of line and shape as she renders each piece with a knife. White is currently working on a series of blooms as part of an upcoming exhibition at Buffalo Arts Studio





Being a superhero in New York City is easy. Just walk into the Brooklyn Superhero Supply in Park Slope, 5th Avenue between 5th and 6th street, and walk away with a new cape, a grappling hook, a tin of antimatter, or even a new identity. And if you need a partner, Brooklyn Superhero Supply also runs a sidekick placement service. And like any good superhero, the store itself has a secret second identity.
Brooklyn Superhero Supply is the brainchild of acclaimed novelist Dave Eggers and educator Ninive Calegari who founded 826, a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. When they founded the original 826 chapter in San Francisco, the building they chose for their tutoring center was allocated for retail. The law required them to either open a retail store or take their offices elsewhere. Dave and Ninive chose the latter and invented the Pirate Supply Store that not only helped them get past the restriction but also helped attract kids and raise funds for the organization by selling pirate wares and souvenirs. When Dave and Ninive opened the New York chapter of 826, the superhero theme was the obvious choice given the city’s history with vigilante.



Just got back from my last moments at the studio where I again screwed up the time-line I had set for myself and fiddled with the Falls collage and then pulled out an artists' book I've been thinking of continuing.  Finally I hauled the third section of quilt off the wall and added the side and top borders, but by then it was Doggie Dinner time so I left the slashes, three of them, all ready to do when I get back.  Maybe by then I will have renewed energy and vigor.  HA!  That wasn't me typing, somebody took over my fingers.




1 comment :

Mary Beth Frezon said...

love the rust print/quilting - SOOOO glad you got the new foot. It's really amazing sometimes how the hardware holds us back. Keep on with it! And that paper-cutting lady is outstandingly crazy. Unbelievable. Not in this or a future life will I be trying that so I'm glad she's taking care of making those beautiful things.