Thursday, August 20, 2015

hampton grommet lenin

Eventually you will reach a point when you stop 
lying about your age and start bragging about it. 




In honor of the cosmos today, and getting ready for tomorrow, here are a couple of lions I snapped in front of a Venice antique store.  If I could have bought one and gotten it back to Boston I would have gotten it it's own seat on Air Italia! Neptune is in retrograde now, but it's not supposed to be important:
You have highly specific ideas about how to perform your chores today and you aren't interested in debating the merits of your choices. Unfortunately, no one will be a winner in a conflict if push comes to shove, even if you really do know what's best for everyone involved. Sharing your perspective isn't enough now; avoid an escalation of emotions by practicing the art of compromise. Acting with a spirit of generosity leads to the most harmonious outcome. 


I know I promised two but this little guy is cute enough for both, isn't he?


Yesterday was awful-  we had already picked out stone for the patio (we call it 'hardscape' in the trade...) but the bid came in and it was listed as HARVEST GOLD: I don't think so, not with the gray house I have going.  And it was also way way over budget so off we go on an hour+ ride down to the stone yard.  We met the Guy who wrote the proposal and looked at tumbled marble in the flesh and found the exact one we wanted but the size wasn't all available so we pieced it up with a smaller size for the smaller areas.   Then back we went up north for another hour+ ride to the paver yard where we found something that was acceptable for the driveway...and cheaper.  I know this all is scintillating to you, driving around looking at rocks, but that's how I spent my whole friggin day.  
We got home to a giant black cloud above and I had TY drop me at the studio just to be amongst my Stuff for a while.  I am making boxes out of anaglyptic wallpaper which chooses not to stick with the glue I'm using so I fought that for awhile and stuck all my good pins in to hold it in place.  Then I took a deep breath and dove into layering the Big Slasher quilt.  
I*don't*like*it.
It has some problems, and I was trying to fix them as I pinned but there are some pleats and some puckers and it isn't lying flat as I want.  So todays mission is to get the damn thing fastened down to the batting and smoothed out as best as I can.  I was going to quilt (minimally!) each third and then sew them together but I am so Uninvested in this right now that I will just suck it up and get it together once and for all.  The UP side to all of this is I pretty much cleared my entire shelf of blacks down to scraps.  A good thing.  

So, to talk of something more pleasant, how about some odd architectural art?  (This first guy kills me since I can't even get my stupid quilt straight.)



Korean artist Do Ho Suh (previously here) has just completed his largest artwork to date at Seoul’s National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art. Titled Home Within Home Within Home Within Home Within Home, the giant installation represents two previous residences the artist lived in at 1:1 scale, one structure inside the built with jade-colored silk evoking the feel of a 3D blueprint. The smaller structure is a traditional Korean home where Suh grew up a child which he then suspended inside a replica of his first residence in the United States, a modern apartment building in Providence, Rhode Island. The piece is so large that visitors are invited to walk inside and virtually explore it.






UK artist Debbie Smyth who uses hundreds of needles and delicate lengths of thread to create wall-sized installations. Via her website:
Debbie Smyth is textile artist most identifiable by her statement thread drawings; these playful yet sophisticated contemporary artworks are created by stretching a network of threads between accurately plotted pins. Her work beautifully blurs the boundaries between fine art drawings and textile art, flat and 3D work, illustration and embroidery, literally lifting the drawn line off the page in a series of “pin and thread” drawings.


some days you eat the fish, some days the fish eats you.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

UNinvested. Yeah, same here. Framing a small white handwoven piece and it's getting uglier by the minute. Walking away for a few days.
Diane