Thursday, January 21, 2016

syndic shoelace grandeur

Overthinking Kills Your Creativity



It's been cold here and I have spent all my psychic energy on staying warm and dry.  I know-  boo hoo.  But this is the week I have my pal here to hang with and it's off we go with our COATS on, MUFFLERS around our necks, and biggest ugh-  SOCKS.  The good news is I was forced into figuring out the new fancy schmancy thermostat and now I know how to switch on 'heat'.  We have had a jolly time at INSIDE activities but that's not what we planned.

We wanna use the hot tub, but I don't want to feel like I'm in Glacier Nat'l Park instead of South Florida this January.  Today it got downright balmy, probably up to 70 when the sun was out for that seven minutes we saw it.  I was even able to turn off the heat in the car.  Lisa is taking a snooze now so I will make a batch of cookies-  we ate giant sandwiches for lunch so won't need anything but cookies for dinner... 

Today I registered at CaFE to get a call for entries finished-  yup, I am at it again.  Getting it set up so the photos were the exact right size, that they uploaded correctly and that I got all the pertinent info filled in was trying-  but that was mostly due to my lack of organization after losing a file with all my updated images and having to re-do the ones I needed today.  It would have probably been easier to go to the studio and re-photograph but I know I need them all done and couldn't face it.  I'll continue working with them as I need them and curse losing that file-  I was SO organized with each quilt having it's own folder with statement, size and materials, date, and a full set of images for each one.  Then POOF, gone.  So, this time it's going on a thumb drive as well as back-up and desktop.  Lotta good that will do when I lose the friggin' computer.  

So, let's get happy and talk about art, k?    How's about stitching today---





Embroidery on paper by Chelala:  I am a young French artist who mixes embroidery and illustration.
Since they are made of different materials (textile or paper), cover different fields, and evoke different emotions, my pieces are difficult to describe…
Nevertheless, there might be a common thread: graphics, embroidery and the love for words, both literally and figuratively.



Machine Embroidery by Meredith Woolnough



I hope to capture the power, beauty and fragility of nature in knotted embroidery threads. The work explores the sculptural possibilities of a unique embroidery technique that utilizes a domestic sewing machine and a base fabric that dissolves in water. By repeatedly stitching threads into dense structures I create intricate and complex openwork compositions that mimic natural forms and structures.
I have always found inspiration in the natural world. Exploring, collecting and drawing makes up a large part of the field work aspect of my practice which gives me a great excuse to go for lots of bushwalks in search of reference material. I am also a keep scuba diver and love to explore the world below the waves as well.
I have always been fascinated by the structure of things, from the hard shapes of coral colonies to the minute arterial veins in leaves. I like to draw parallels between the growth and life systems of various organisms in my work commenting upon the interconnectedness of all living things.



Or David Cata who embroiders on flesh:




David Cata’s work sets a game between memory and the creative act. A temporary act recorded through photography, video, painting or sculpture.
The evocation power of personal objects and pictures of his family album are his inspiration. Through them, he makes a reflection about time, memory and ways to delay the oblivion’s process by using ephemeral elements, such as ice, thread, dandelions, salt…
Sometimes, his own body turns into the canvas of his artistic experience. The sewn and fissures done over his skin are a metaphor of the permanent symbiosis between the passage of time and the oblivion. His work aims to the past time’s preservation through the memorial, corporal, photographic and videographic prints. His work goes beyond an esthetic quest.

ick.  (editorial comment)






No comments :