Sunday, July 31, 2016

formulate forsake forsook

“Drawing is feeling. Color is an act of reason.” (Pierre Bonnard)



I ended up spending the day working on a complicated schedule of some classes I plan on taking at the Armory Art Center in West Palm.  There is a figure drawing class I am forcing myself to take to get the rust cleared from my drawing arm.  They have both male and female models and it sounds like a perfect project to get me going again.  It's also in 2 sessions so if it doesn't work for me I can pick up a different class after early December.  Perfect.  Also there is a class about Artists' Books with maps- right up my alley with the drawer full of maps I have collected.  This also has some printmaking and collage work too, and the guy who teaches it, John Cutrone, is the manager of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts down at FAU in Boca where they have built an entire library of Artists Books-  spectacular stuff done by everybody who is anybody!   If you EVER get to South Florida, this is a major stop for your trip, I think more interesting than the Norton Museum.  If you think you might not be enthralled, you're WRONG!  





Spent the afternoon in the studio and got the stack of blocks sewn and quilted and added to the pile-  you might not believe it but I am at FIFTY TWO INCHES as of an hour ago, and I am out of quilts-  well, out of quilts that were meant to cut, I still have a few left that I like and don't want to cut, but it looks like I will have to now.  



Almost there, but I don't think another quilt will make it to the goal.  I also have to figure out what I'm going to do to end it.  Last thought was to glue one last piece to the cap for the Sono tube, a piece that still has it's center, and just place it where it belongs.  I don't want any special *thing* on it, just a simple end.  And where I'm gonna get enough quilts to finish off 8 more inches!










The Not Ready For Open Studios Studio!
Next interesting piece:  TY is a bit upset I've gone and done this, I don't know what he had in mind as my legacy, but he is very distressed I am cutting up my work.  Told him I saved some back, newer pieces and more bed-worthy just in case.  He never wanted my work hanging in the house so I just assumed he didn't much care for it.  Oh well.  I still have the 'Twins Series', and a whole wall of things I think of as very autobiographical.  I DO know he wanted to have another open studios this winter, but it really evolves more into a wine tasting than an art event since I am not plugged into the art community here.  And its A LOT of work getting the studio cleaned and primed for actual people to wander through.  Last one I only sold 2 or 3 pieces, the first one they wiped me out!  That was fun...   It was also a fluke.
Growing like a bad weed!

The ART PART:



Kate Just, an American-born Australia-based artist, has long been committed to making feminist work that examines the human body experience. the Feminist Fan show currently at A.I.R. Gallery, comes pieces roughly 14×18 inches in size, each depicting a famous feminist’s (and often iconic) work from the past century. According to Just, the portraits deal with “textiles, clothing, and adornment. How do they work as transgressive forces?” While all of the images are a “personal genealogy” of Just’s artistic influences, they are also “significant feminist portraits that speak to feminism as an art movement. The way they’re dressed is meant to change something.”


2 comments :

Max said...

Arthur Jaffe came to see Quilt 21 when it was in Boca Raton in 2003 or 4 (too lazy to look up the date) . . . He was at the opening lecture/reception and we had a short conversation about artist books . . . lovely man.

Sandy said...

Yes indeed. He and his wife funded the new Jaffe Ctr for Artists' Books library at FAU and after her death he continued to show up there every day greeting visitors and giving tours, sharp as a tack. And he did that until he died at 93 last year! Every time I went he was the first person I saw, standing at the front entry and scooting around with a walker all day! He started collecting unique books as a boy and continued throughout his life, eventually donating 12,000 of his books to the collection.