Thursday, January 05, 2017

vivo cougar vixen

A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” (James Joyce)


more very odd squirrel taxidermy discovered by an old friend


I find myself in Beautiful Downtown Watertown, just a half block from a trampoline gym, a BJ's Warehouse, a Super Stop and Shop, a Goodwill Dropoff Center and the Charles River across the street and down the banks.  Also, at the corner there's a Chinese Restaurant and a Subway.  Across the street is the best produce market in the area with the most amazing array of ethnic vegetables, homemade pastas, cheeses and imported hams.  I am not starving here, for sure.  If I drive across town there are probably 10 Armenian markets. And finally tomorrow I have the electrician coming with a cord called a pigtail to plug in my stove so I can boil an egg.

We arrived yesterday afternoon and took a cab to the lawyers to sign wills-  both dead and living- because we are of that age.  I was dragging a giant suitcase in and out of office buildings and freezing cold from the city wind tunnels down the streets. We got a second cab to the condo, and changed to go met friends for dinner, went down to the garage and found the car dead.  So I decided to try out my Uber App.  It said I would have a cab in 8 minutes, but after standing in the rain, getting soaked and mad, TY called his own cab after a half hour.  We were late, needless to say.  This morning was taken up with calling the tow truck, and greeting the AC/heat guy for a maintenance call.  At which point TY AND THE CAR took off for a meeting and lunch while I installed the backsplash in the kitchen.  Fortunately at the end of the day I got to go see Glorie, my 2 month old grand baby.  Worth the wait, she is a squishy little thing with a bobbing head and funny smiles, in short adorable.

So, I have a week here before returning to Florida.  The weekend ahead is busy seeing family and neglected friends, then it's off to Lowell to hang and assemble the show that opens next Wednesday.

IF i can carve out some time I am dying to get to the  Fuller Craft Museum down in Brockton whereI have a piece, and also up to the Peabody Essex where there is a shoe show which will be joined in a few weeks with a traveling costume and clothing show from the V&A.  My daughter was there today and texting me every 6 minutes in her excitement.  She asked me to join her but I HAD NO CAR, dammit. And of course the other worthwhile thing to do in and around Boston is the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell where you can see a quarter century plus a few years  worth of my crit group's output- a diverse and creative a bunch or women I could ever be lucky enough to know.  Our show is there through April. GO!  




some of my old stuff leftover from college
Me, leftover from college!  Weird, huh?


So, I guess we need an arty part now, eh?  And maybe a beer.





Stemming from a past of ambitious collecting, photographer Christoffer Relander utilizes mason jars as vessels to capture the environments that surrounded him during his childhood in Finland. The project, Jarred & Displaced, utilizes double exposures shot on medium format film to combine pristine images of jars with black and white landscapes, collecting scenes shot within forests, neighborhoods, and on top of steep ridges. Each of the images is completely analog as Relander decided to eschew all digital processes for the series.  “With analog multiple exposures I’m able to manipulate my photographs in-camera,” said Relander to Colossal, “this project was not created or manipulated in an external software such as Photoshop.”









No comments :